AMERICAN LANGUAGE COURSE PLACEMENT TEST
PART I - LISTENING
Directions for items 1-56. You will hear statements or
questions on the tape. Select the best answer and mark your
answer sheet, a, b, c, or d. DO NOT WRITE ON THE TEST BOOKLET.
1. a) to cut his hair a. a) He must do all his
b) at four flying at once.
c) by the barber. b) He should be taken off
d) at the same time as flying every year.
the barber c) He must give all of
his attention to
2. a) to wash up flying.
b) to stand still d) He must relax his
c) to quiet down attention when flying.
d) to move fast
9. a) She read a book.
3. a) his money b) She found a book.
b) his ideas c) She sold a book.
c) his car d) She chose a book.
d) his tools
10. a) It cannot be tasted.
4. a) next week b) It cannot be seen.
b) after a few minutes c) It is light.
c) sometime later d) It is colored.
11. a) He cleaned it.
5. a) Robert and James speak b) He worked on it.
Spanish. c) He polished it.
b) Only Robert speaks d) He rode on it.
c) Neither of them speaks 18418c218s 12. a) an animal
Spanish. b) 5,280
d) Only James doesn't c) a jeep
speak Spanish. d) breakfast
6. a) at 8 o'clock 13. a) how to make water
b) at midnight b) how to make tea with
c) at 12 noon it
d) every night c) how to change it
d) how to color it
7. a) A lot of people work
for Mr. Richards. 14. a) the outside
b) A lot of people live b) the frame
with Mr. Richards. c) the garden
c) A lot of people agree d) the inside
with Mr. Richards.
d) A lot of people listen
to Mr. Richards.
ALCPT FORM 45
15. a) beneath the ground 21. a) He got ors the bus.
floor b) He did not get off the
b) on the main floor bus.
c) between the first and c) He missed the bus.
second floors d) He got on the wrong
d) on the roof bus.
16. a) the color of the car 22. a) He practices only
b) the slowing down certain types of
c) its ability to pick up b) He participates in
speed many types of
d)its stopping action activities.
c) He enjoys keeping away
17. a) They couldn't find him. from activities.
b) They rested with him. d) He dislikes various
c) They saved him. kinds of activities.
d) They looked for him.
23. a) They can cause a lot
18. a) She paid us at the of damage.
hospital. b) They're the most
b) She came to see us modern available.
there. c) They're completely
c) She gave us treatment useless now.
there. d) They can be carried
d) She wrote to us there. easily.
19. a) James needed some 24. a) I eat at 7:00.
matches. b) I stay up until 7:00.
b) James will buy some c) 1 don't stay in bed
cigarettes. after 7:00.
c) James wants to see d) My roommate wakes me
some cigarettes. at 7:15.
d) .Tames saw some
cigarettes in a 25. a) stand at attention
package. b) move toward the
20. a) She looks after her c) move to the rear
mother. d) salute the officer
b) She is looking for her
mother. 26. a) It was a clear day.
c) She resembles her b) There was a heavy
d) She is fond of her c) The sun was bright.
mother. d) It hasn't rained for a
ALCPT FORM 45
27. a) We are ready to go to 35. a) It was very delicious.
Kelly. b) It was too tough.
b) We are not prepared c) It was not cooked
c) We are setting the d) It was well-cooked.
plane down at Kelly.
d) we are sitting in the 36. a) He wrote these books.
plane at Kelly. b) These books are not
28. a) It leaves the ground. c) He didn't write these
b) It arrives on time. books.
c) It leaves the d) He bought these books.
d) It explodes on the 37. a) The air is dry.
runway. b) it is a damp day.
c) A hot dry wind is
29. a) buy some medicine blowing.
b) see a doctor d) There are no clouds
c) give some help anywhere.
d) get a private room
38. a) Bill might go to the
30. a) poor eyesight doctor.
b) black smoke b) Bill went to the
c) a thick fog doctor.
d) a television tower c) Bill won't go to the
31. a) Tom asked for advice. d) Bill will feel worse
b) Tom said something bad tomorrow.
c) He greeted him in the 39. a) He doesn't have it
d) Tom thought about him. b) He doesn't have
32. a) He ordered Bill to c) He doesn't have the
drive the car. most.
b) He allowed Hill to d) He doesn't have any at
take the car. all.
c) He warned Bill not to
take the car. 40. a) Are you able t-.o Give
d) He gave Hill. a ride in me the train schedule?
the car. b) How can I qet to the
33. a) a physicist c) can you tell me about
b) a geographer the train station?
c) a cartographer d) Can you go to the
d) a dentist train station?
34. a) one month after 41. a) She ate it.
delivery b) She preserved it.
b) during delivery c) She saw it.
c) before delivery d) She provided it.
d) right after delivery
ALCPT FORM 45
42. a) You must present your 49. a) He drew a line through
identification. my name.
b) You must complete an b) He added my name to
application form. the list.
c) You must keep it flat c) He wrote my name on
at all times. the list.
d) You must write your d) He asked about my
name on the back. name.
43. a) They had steaks for 50. a) Our vacation lasted
dinner. for a long time.
b) They had two main b) It has been a long
dishes for dinner. time since our
c) They received two vacation.
invitations for c) 7t will be a long time
dinner. until our vacation.
d) They invited two d) our vacation will last
friends to dinner. for a long time.
44. a) She put money in the 51. a) She knew the range and
bank. hit the target.
b) She made out a check. b) She figured out the
e) She returned a check. distance to the
d) She got some money. target.
c) She talked to the
45. a) He had a good time. ranger before shooting
b) He made many friends. at the target.
c) He got a lot of rest. d) She shot and hit the
d) He stayed a long time. target from a great
46. a) twenty-five
b) a quarter 52. a) Harold ran from the
c) a half woman.
d) four b) Harold talked about
47; a) Did you see his c) Harold walked toward
ailment? the woman.
b) Did you get sick d) Harold asked for the
c) Did you cause his
sickness? 53. a) by bus, car, train, or
d) Did you learn the plane
reason for his b) It's about 1100 miles.
sickness? c) It's a long distance
48. a) replace the engine d) about a day and a half
b) take the engine apart by car
c) run the engine slower
d) take the engine out
ALCPT FORM 45
54. a) The wind is strong. 5c. a) He accomplished his
b) The wind becomes mission.
still. b) He planned his
c) It is very cold. mission.
d) It is blowing full c) He continued his
d) He cancelled his
55. a) Decay is taken out mission.
with a drill.
b) Decay is put in a
c) Decay is moved away
from the drill.
d) Decay is placed around
Directions for items 57--66. you will hear conversations or
persons giving information. Select the best answer and mark
your answer sheet, a, b, c, or d.
57. a) their hobbies 61. a) if the patient is
b) their professions seeing all right
c) their techniques b) if the patient is
d) their possessions eating all right
c) if the patient is
58. a) She is afraid of it. breathing all right
b) She likes it. d) if the patient is
c) She wants it. talking all right
d) She dislikes it.
62. a) after five o'clock
59. a) Louis hasn't heard the b) in a factory
question correctly. c) eight hours
b) Louis has been d) from nine to five
standing in the wrong
place. 63. a) It's bleeding a lot.
c) Louis means everything b) it has no feeling in
he says. it.
d) Louis doesn't know c) It's painful.
what the question d) it's broken.
64. a) a plan
60. a) He is an officer. b) a color
b) He works in the c) a soldier
building. d) a mistake
c) He has permission from
someone in authority.
d) He thinks his reason
for entering is very
ALCPT FORM 45
65. a) Put the books in a 66. e) His house is big.
neat pile. b) His house is pretty.
b) List the books in some c) His house is old.
orderly way. d) His house is modern.
c) Write the titles of
the books on their
d) Put the books on a
shelf according to
THIS IS THE END of THE LISTENING PART OF THE TEST.
PART II - READING
Directions for items 6?-140. Select the best answer and mark
your answer sheet, a, b, c, or d. DO NOT WRITE oN THE TEST
67. We turned the TV on as the program started. We turned it on........
a)just for a while
b) just in time
c) a little too late
d) much too early
68. Are there any other boys in Don's family?
a) has two brothers
b) is the only child
c) has one sister
d) has a grandmother
69. I get paid twice a month. I receive my pay....
a) one time a month
b) two times a month
d) once every ten days
d) every weekend
70. He was trying to get out of the building.
ALCPT FORM 45
71; We must........ drive a car without a driver's license.
72. Charles: Can you understand English well yet?
Sherry: No, but I'm trying....... more.
a) of learning
b) for learning
c) to learn
d) for learn
73. Mr. Clark......... for that company for ten years.
a) is working
b) been working
c) has been working
d) is being worked
74. Harry and I don't eat lunch at the snack bar.........
c) any more
75. John's decision was affected by his friend. John's friend........
a) influenced his decision
b) delayed his decision
c) made a decision
d) didn't like the decision
76. The instructor said, 'Be sure to wear an overcoat so you
won't........ a cold."
77. We get used to new foods slowly.
a) find many
b) always like to
c) become accustomed to
d) become acquainted to
ALCPT FORM 45
78. I tam reading an interesting book....... animals and the
places where they live.
79. The children have been playing.........
a) since three hours
b. for three hours
c) for ten o'clock
d) before yesterday
80. I _,____ other kinds of jets before.
b) will fly
c) am flying
d) have flown
81. He....... by the doctor yesterday.
a) was examining
c) was examined
d) did examine
87.. He keeps busy from morning sick call until it's time to hit the sack. And then he's likely to be roused to soothe a midnight headache or minister to a man with an upset stomach.
a) He's probably a gunnery sergeant.
b. He's probably in communications.
b) He's probably a combat casualty.
d) He's probably a medical aidman.
83. The student told his roommate, "Yoga can runt on me."
a) count for me
b) count my money
c) depend on me
d) tell my age
84. Food spoils........ if it is not in a refrigerator.
85. He bored a hole in the wall
86. The musician broke a......... on his quitar
87 You will learn more if you........attention
c . do
88. The flight surgeon wi11 see you as soon as he........
c) will be able
89. I........ write him if I knew his address,
90. There are many small towns similar....... this one
91. Our students........ many new words since they began their
c) has 1 earned
d) have learned
ALC PT FORM 4 ",
92. When we heard the explosion on first ........
93 . The friend of the teacher that John met when he called on
his mother vent to
a) The friend
b) The theacher
c) The mother
94 .I tore may coat on a nail I hope it won't show
a) I hope my coat can't be seen .
b) I hope it won't rip on the nail.
c) I hope the nail will stay up.
d) I hope the tear won,t be noticeable
95. My son wore..........his new tennis shoes
96. Henry jotted down the word.
a) He used it in the right way.
b) He repeated it several times.
c) He wrote it on some paper.
d). He saw it in a book.
97. Did the student...... a lot of work last week ?
98 . Meat is usually cut and......one piece a time .
Politica de confidentialitate