each of the following sentences, changing the subject of the verb to the
singular, inserting a or an before
the subject, as appropriate, and changing the verb to agree with the
subject. For example:
Violins are di 555n1321f fficult to play.
A violin is difficult to play.
Unions have been formed.
A union has been formed.
Answers are always provided.
An answer is always provided.
Heirs have many friends.
An heir has many friends.
1. Avocados are expensive.
2. Windows are an important feature of an artist's studio.
3. Umbrellas should not be used during a thunderstorm.
4. Horses can be useful in the mountains.
5. Cashews are a type of nut.
6. Onions can be used for flavoring soup.
7. Trucks have many uses.
8. Hours passed.
9. Sentences should have proper punctuation.
10. Escalators are very convenient.
11. Uniforms must be worn.
12. Boxes were found on the floor.
13. Marshes lie beyond the city boundary.
14. Ideas can be valuable.
15. Eggs are a good source of protein.
2. Fill in each blank with either the indefinite article (a
or an) or the definite article (the). Use a or an with nouns referring to people or things which
have not been mentioned previously, and use the with nouns
referring to people or things which have been mentioned previously.
I had never visited Seretnay
Park before. Last week I
went to ____ park and chose ____ tour to take. There
were twenty tourists and one guide. ____ guide asked
what we wanted to see. I said I had never seen ____ eagle, and I would like to
see one. ____ child on ____ tour said he would like to
see ____ beaver, since he had heard there were many in ____ park. ____ guide said he would do his best. First he led us along ____
road, and then we turned off onto ____ path. To our right was ____ marshy pond.
Suddenly ____ child who had spoken before shouted, "Look! I see ____
beaver!" Of course ____ beaver was startled. It slapped its tail and
disappeared into pond.
Our guide pointed to ____ pile of sticks and said, "That's where ____
beaver lives. That's his house." I had my camera with me, and took ____
photograph of ____ house.
As we were standing there, ____ guide was looking across ____ pond through ____
small telescope. After a minute, he tapped my shoulder and handed me ____
telescope. He pointed to ____ tall tree and said, "Do you see that white
speck? That's ____ bald eagle."
I had difficulty focusing ____ telescope, but finally I saw ____ eagle. As I
watched, ____ eagle spread its wings and soared over the water.
It was ____ wonderful experience for me to see some of the wild creatures that
live in ____ park.
3. Fill in each blank with a, an or
the. Be prepared to justify your choice. For example:
___ moon is full tonight.
The moon is full tonight.
He is ___ singer.
He is a singer.
Please sit in ___ center of the boat.
Please sit in the center of the boat.
The room costs twenty dollars ___ day.
The room costs twenty dollars a day.
___ wheel is considered one
of mankind's most important inventions.
The wheel is considered one of mankind's most
1. His aunt is ____ teacher.
2. ____ architect is trained in design, drafting, and economics.
3. ____ ostrich is the world's largest bird.
4. Buses pass this point two or three times ____ hour.
5. Plants gain energy from the light of ____ sun.
6. I woke up in ____ middle of the night.
7. She is ____ doctor.
8. ____ seal is an excellent swimmer.
9. Our eyes usually blink several times ____ minute.
10. At ____ equator, sunrise occurs at the same time each day.
11. He is ____ author.
12. They wanted to hear ____ end of the story.
13. Such a severe storm occurs only once ____ decade.
14. Mount Everest is tallest mountain in
15. There is an index at ____ back of the book.