A. The interview.
It is not correct to consider as an interview a declaration made in a hurry by a personality or even a detailed discussion with a specialist in a certain field. These are conversations or materials for documentation. If it were so simple, the role of the reporter would be that of an investigator and his questions would be of no use. The interview is a conversation, usually taking place between two persons, for obtaining information for the benefit of an unseen audience. It is an informational exchange which provokes a new level of understanding.
A1. Read the following texts and comment upon them. Try to accomplish an interview of your own, on a social topic.
How do we choose a certain interlocutor in a certain moment?
· The person occupies an important position.
· The person has accomplished something important.
· The person has been accused of serious wrongdoings.
· The person knows something or somebody important.
· The person has witnessed an important event.
Which is the purpose of accomplishing the interview?
· To gather facts.
· To gather anecdotes.
· To characterise a situation.
· To confirm data you have already gathered.
· To prove that you have been there.
How can you convince a person to speak?
· Appeal to the pride and honesty of the person.
· Appeal to the person's need to get to be known.
· Appeal to the person's capacity to present a point of view.
· Appeal to the person's need to use the opportunity to clarify a situation.
· Appeal to the person's need to answer the accusations of his opponents.
The structure of an interview:
· The funnel type, beginning with a general idea and coming down towards details and particularities (resembling the court investigations).
· The reversed funnel type, beginning with a very well determined topic and enlarging towards a general theme.
· The tunnel type, gathering a series of questions grouped round a certain theme, in order to obtain rapid comments about an important event.
· The interview with masked order, in which the reporter tries to "cheat" the interlocutor by alternating the easy and the difficult questions.
· The interview with free form, used when there is no time limit and when the reporter wants the interlocutor to express his thoughts freely.
Which questions should not be asked?
· Questions proving the absence of documentation.
· Vague, general questions.
· More questions in one sentence.
· Long questions.
· Explanatory questions.
· Hypothetical questions.
· Questions with enclosed answers.
· Questions with Yes/No answers, although you need an explanation.
How to write the interview.
· When writing an interview the reporter should select the necessary information, give it the best form and correct the grammar and the style of the oral discussion. The reporter should not modify declarations, renounce certain pieces of information which could change the context or provoke meaning modifications.
A2. Translate the following text and then answer the questions below. Conceive an interview of your own with a professor from your faculty, on the theme of an international workshop organised by your faculty this year.
"Pentru functionarea administratiei publice din România, cunoasterea experientei franceze este utila"
cu dl. Michel Daynac, profesor la Universitatea de stiinte Sociale
- Domnule Daynac, în primul rând, spuneti-ne cu ce ocazie ati venit la Timisoara.
- Am venit pentru un seminar organisat de Consiliul Judetean Timis, privind problemele de dezvoltare economica locala, seminar care este o parte dintr-o serie mai larga de seminarii (din care câteva s-au desfasurat deja). Aceste schimburi, sa le spunem, fac parte din schimburile generale franco-române, iar în particular ele sunt posibile datorita relatiilor ce exista între Universitatea din Toulouse si Consiliul Judetean Timis.
- Pentru ca ati avut contacte cu reprezentanti ai Consiliului Judetean Timis, v-as ruga sa caracterizati aceste întâlniri cu autoritatile locale.
- Apreciez faptul ca, la rândul lor, participantii la aceste seminarii si contacte au considerat util schimbul de experienta. Pentru ca serviciile de administratie publica din România sa functioneze normal, cunoasterea experientei franceze în domeniu a fost, cred eu, foarte interesanta. Asta si daca tinem seama de similitudinile dintre sistemul administrativ francez si cel român.
- Cum vedeti pe viitor aceasta colaborare?
- Din punctul meu de vedere, sunt foarte interesat de aceste seminarii. Tocmai de aceea am acceptat un prim contact în domeniul meu de activitate. La o adica, as putea foarte bine analiza anumite probleme carora specialistii dumneavoastra le cauta înca rezolvarea.
- În aceasta seara ati avut un prim contact cu scoala de Înalte Studii Europene Comparative, mai precis cu viitori specialisti în probleme europene. Ce impresie v-au lasat cursantii?
- Impresia lasata este una foarte buna. Aceasta conferinta - improvizata - la care am participat a fost una calda, iar întrebarile ce mi s-au pus au fost foarte interesante.
("Realitatea banateana", mai 1995)
a). What could make interesting the publication of this interview:
- the topics of this seminar;
- the hypothesis that it would have been organised for the first time;
- the fact that it is done with a personality from abroad;
-the fact that something important and with real chances to be applied has been decided on this occasion.
b). Reformulate or make better the title.
c). Reformulate the first question and, implicitly, the first answer.
d). What else should we have found out from this interview?
e). What pieces of information asked by the reporter go beyond the topic announced in the title?
A3. The negotiation and preparation of an interview by the PR specialist.
When a reporter wants to take you an interview, you should follow certain rules.
Rule a. Adopt a "public relations" behavior:
link, increase, capital, certain, combines, benefit, general, directors, company's, delay, provided, mixture, course, appointed, advertising, management, actively, sell, run, brand, coming, marketing, complex, post, coming, company's, spent, overseas, faced, financial, buy, appointed.
C4. Translate the following organisation charts, discuss their structures and give examples:
Board of Directors
Board of Directors
Chairperson & Managing Director
Chairperson & Managing Director
Overseas SalesMarket ResearchRecruitment OfficerWelfare Officer
ManagerManagerU.K. SalesTraining Officer
A LineB LineC Line ChiefCostComputerWagesBudgetChief
The Department for Information and Public Relations (DIPR):
Office for Communication Evaluation and Mass Media Communication Office for Relations with Public Administration and Civil Society Office for Analysis And Communication Planning Office for Syntheses and Information Office for International Information Press Office Data Processing Office Administrative- Secretariate Office Spokesman Head of Department Head of Department The Department for Co-ordination of Communication and Public Relations The Department for Press and Public Information Deputy Chief of DIPR Chief of DIPR
Mass Media Communication
Office for Relations with
Public Administration and
Office for Analysis
Office for International
Administrative- Secretariate Office
Head of Department
Head of Department
The Department for Co-ordination of
Communication and Public Relations
The Department for Press and Public
Deputy Chief of DIPR
Chief of DIPR
With what topic is the passage mainly concerned?
What does the author imply about the American family?
How many single people were identified in the survey?
Who generally constitutes a one person household?
D4. Translate the following sentences, using the verbs to breed, to grow, to increase, to raise, to rear:
1. L-au crescut cu greu, erau foarte saraci în tinerete.
2. E un tip bine crescut, distins si politicos.
3. Hai sa-l vizitam, e un cunoscut crescator de câini.
4. Întotdeauna i-am admirat pentru felul cum si-au crescut copiii.
5. Au rase selectionate, se ocupa de mult de cresterea cailor.
6. Turistii s-au prezentat la biroul lor în numar crescând.
7. De ce nu încerci sa cresti ceva în gradina aceea enorma?
8. Trebuie sa crestem cantitatea de marfuri livrate firmei lor.
9. Cresc animale din tata în fiu.
10. Vânzarile din luna aceasta au crescut simtitor.
Remember the following phrases:
to breed dogs/horses/sheep; an ill-bred/well-bred man; to grow corn/vegetables; to grow in bulk/quantity; to grow in wisdom; to increase development/intensity/production/power; to raise cattle/a family/salary/prices; to rear chicken/pigs/children.
Politica de confidentialitate