Olimpiada da limba engleza
I. Read the text and decide which answer - A, B, C, or D - best fit in each space. 10 p.
People who frequently wake up in the middle of the night and are unable to 1)...... a trip to the fridge may in fact be suffering from a 2)......medical complaint, say scientists. They have 3).......biochemical differences in people who cannot 4).... the urge to eat during the hours 5)......most of us are asleep.
Night Eating Syndrome, as it is called, is not a new phenomenon. In the 1950s, doctors found that 6)....one and t 21221p153v wo percent of people admitted to regularly raiding their fridges at night. The new findings 7).....existing evidence that the syndrome is a serious eating disorder. Symptoms include 8).....no appetite for breakfast and eating more than half of the day's total food intake after 7pm. Sufferers are prone to stress and have a 9).....to crave foods which are high in carbohydrates, even though these are the 10).....nourishing.
1 A avoid B stop C resist D delay
2 A legal B true C genuine D sincere
3 A invented B discovered C produced D explored
4 A control B guide C command D rule
5 A when B which C while D where
6 A about B between C around D roughly
7 A help B assist C aid D support
8 A keeping B holding C having D owning
9 A trend B tendency C fashion D habit
10 A few B least C less D little
II. Complete the second sentence in each of the pairs below so that the meaning stays the same and so that you include the word given. Do not change the word given. 10 p.
1. The new presenter certainly has plenty of confidence. LACK
The new presenter _______________________ confidence.
2. He has never felt so embarrassed before. EVER
It's _________________________ embarrassed.
3. She was going to hand in her notice when the boss decided to promote her. POINT
She _____________________ notice when the boss decided to promote her.
It's ___________________ a gold medal in this sport.
5. It was proposed that a new orphanage should be built. FORWARD
They _____________ to build a new orphanage.
6. According to Donovan, Rosie is bound to be offered the position. DOUBT
According to Donovan ________________ the position.
7. You'll have problems if you park here. BETTER
You _____________________ park here.
8. The suspect could not explain why he had sand in his boots. ACCOUNT
The suspect _____________ in his boots.
9. I don't know how I can make it up to you for spoiling your plans. AMENDS
I don't know ______________ your plans.
10. Our teacher doesn't like it when we leave the classroom without asking first. APPROVE
Our teacher ________________ without asking first.
III. Put the verbs in brackets in the right tense : 10 p.
Alex (1).... (work) in the accounts department when I (2).....(become) advertising manager at the firm. At first I (3)...... (find) him to be very efficient, but after a while his work (4).......(start) to deteriorate. He (5)......(forever lose) important documents and (6)......(make) excuses when there were delays. The final straw was when he (7)....... (spend) three weeks on a piece of work that should have taken only a day or so. By the time he (8)....... (finish), I (9)......(feel) pretty annoyed and (10)......(complain) to the managing director.
IV. Fill in the correct word derived from the word in bold: 10 p.
8. She was..... when she received her exam results. THRILL
9. It was very......to keep studying without a break. TIRE
10. After many years of hard work, Professor Johnson received.......... for
his contribution to science. ACKNOWLEDGE
V. Find the unnecessary word and correct each sentence: 5 p.
VI. Give your opinion on the following statement: "Education makes a people easy to lead, but difficult to drive; easy to govern but impossible to enslave." Henry Peter
Write a 250- 300 word essay. 45 p.
10 p. given
Politica de confidentialitate