English Language, Solution
- 3 / 4 hours per week, BAC
- I have chosen the most appropriate words underlined:
- Won't you have some more salad?
- There are many more sheep on this farm.
- Have what you like. There are plenty more
where these come from.
- She's running for Parliament in the next
- A number of shoppers have complained about
the price increases.
- There's no need to explain how it works.
- I hate it that you can swim so well and I
- Are there any eggs in the fridge? - Yes, there
are a dozen.
- We went back to Bucharest to see the house where we used
to live in the 1980's.
- He has lived next door for years, yet we
hardly ever see him.
- I've given myself up to finish the book by
the end of September.
- He threw the ball to her, but she missed it.
- Rudy always drives at 100 miles an hour.
- I'll look after the children while you are
making the dinner.
- We should use the little time we have
available to talk to her.
- Who did you say that was coming to see me
- As we missed the last bus, there was no
alternative but to take a taxi.
- He warned the children to stay away.
- Although he was young, he became regarded as
- There was an interesting review of the film
in the paper this morning.
- She looks down on us because she went to an
- I regret to tell you that the meeting has
- Barely had he walked into the house when the
- Generally, a cake is made from eggs, milk
- I'd advise you taking more exercise.
- It was the most educational experience I've
- I wanted to meet you since I read your first
- The sun will rise at 5.20 tomorrow.
- In most countries, people don't need to boil
water before they drink it.
- They could not decide whether or not it was
worth going to that show.
- Sorry we're late; we took the wrong turning.
- She noticed him run away from the house.
- I caught a glimpse of the car before it
disappeared around the bend.
- He's sometimes bad-tempered but he's a good fellow at
- Would you please refrain from smoking while
the lecture is in progress?
- When they heard I was going to move to Cluj,
they looked surprised.
- I remembered him borrowing the book.
- 'I've got a
place at the university.' - 'So have I.'
- Did you go in for the examination last year?
- There are a number of people who should be
- I'll do that for you, if you like.
- She's such an irritating woman. I don't know how
you can put up with her.
- If Tom calls while I'm out, tell him I'll be back directly.
- As the sleeping pills had no effect, I tried thinking
about waves breaking on the shore.
- These shelves have been especially designed
to fit into this space.
have rephrased each sentence, beginning as shown, so that the meaning stood the
- But for owning her a favor, I agreed to help
- He was too pressured by being in the public
eye, and that has proven too much for him.
- Scarcely had he bought the car, which it
- I am fed up with all this violence on TV.
- Don't start solving the problems without
doing the theory first.
- I've yet to see such an extraordinary goal.
- You won't get to like your new job, but
after a few weeks.
- He has been reported of having being seen in
- New computer systems began to be invested in
heavily by local authorities at the beginning of the 1990's.
- Jack wouldn't of
left his job unless he had a good reason.
- They sent us the wrong information, so it
- We were suggested to try a new method of
checking our current expenses.
- The glass has cracked when I dropped it.
- Her sudden appearance has surprised me.
- I wish I could see him again, which would be
- If he would of
listen to her advice, he would work here now.
- She has vague memories of being knocked down
by a motorbike.
- When I started, the papers were organized in
front of me.
- I really regret that I have been pushed into
giving a speech.
- Come to marry him I will, no matter what
- She wishes she would of
gone to bed early last night.
- If it hadn't been for her map of the town,
Helen would have got lost.
- By the time I realized what was happening,
the man left with my money.
- Neither the President, nor his
representatives are to attend the meeting.
- Provided we won't run into heavy traffic,
we'll be there at seven.
- Had she assumed he was married, she wouldn't
have agreed to go out to dinner with him.
- Food and medical supplies are taken to the
- I was growing up in a little village on the
- John, as well as Bob, wants to go to the
- Either this dress, or that dress, I can get.
- She suggested we name the baby after his
- I have no intentions in discussing this
- When is the last train to London going to leave?
- They will celebrate their tenth wedding
anniversary next Saturday.
- He didn't say that; I'm absolutely sure of
- The announcement will have been made by the
President by this time tomorrow.
- You should have told me you weren't coming.
- Is there any way you could get here before
- John will go abroad after he saves enough
- Don't start asking questions before I finish
- If we are going on holiday, it can't be
- The coffee was being made (by someone) when
I walked into the kitchen.
- Not only my mother, but my sister, too, is
- This book must be returned to the library by
- After we'll talk to the manager, we'll
- I'd rather not of told him what we were up
- She threatened that if he keeps cheating on
her, she will leave him for good.
- Once the breakfast was finished, the
children ran for a swim in the lake.
- Not only she plays the piano, but she sings
- No less than one million people have watched
our special interview with the President.
have rephrased each sentence so that it contains the word in capitals, and so
(that) the meaning stood the same:
- In CASE he might have forgotten our appointment, I
- The manager does NEITHER confirm, nor denies the
- The committee hasn't decided ON the final date of
- I would have been home before eight BUT for the
- I still see my college friends once in a WHILE.
- We should have WENT for home now.
- She left the house WITHOUT turning off the light.
- The whole WORLD thought that their new house was
- In the end it TURNED out that we'd rung the wrong
- He was DRIVING me, but I couldn't understand what
he was trying to say.
- These new theories are so DIFFICULT, that only a
few people can understand them.
- He didn't apply for the vacant job, ONLY to regret
- The fund-raisers did not come up with a decision to where to send the
- The announcement was simply TOO much for us.
- A hair CUT costs such a lot nowadays.
- It's not WORTH to protect animals unless we take
steps to protect people as well.
- He didn't annoy me by what he said, but RATHER by
what he meant.
- I know sometimes I cannot EXPRESS clearly what I
- Don't bring UP that embarrassing topic.
- Her words are LOSS.
- They have made LIGHT in the case of the missing
- She REGRETS that she won't be able to come to the
- I think the house NEEDS to be redecorated.
- She scrubs the doorstep ONLY once a month (or week
or day or (an) hour J).
- He has an inclination TOWARDS politics.
- His parents ON the importance of hard work have
made him clear.
- We all SHARE our worries about the consequences of
- Some scenes were so horrible I couldn't BEAR
watching (and I had to turn away).
- The party was awful and we WISH we wouldn't have
- She expressed / underlined her EMPHASIS for the
need of absolute confidence.
- Although they tried their MIGHT, the door wouldn't
- It's WISER to / you'd leave it to us.
- I use this medicine for GETTING rid of headaches.
- Would you believe that she hasn't spent LESS than 500 on her new
- Silvia had to cook for herself IF her mother went
out that evening.
- She was hurt by her new boyfriend, WHICH had
forgotten her birthday.
- NOTHING he does turns out good.
- She can't accept the fact that she should lower her
EXPENSES on trifles.
- There was no NEED for me to say that he would be
- The Princess's skin was so beautifully AS white.
- This town is not that good when it COMES for
- I WISH you wouldn't drive so fast.
- I have to work ALL the time,
I can't go out with you.
- He has a knee injury SINCE US Open.
- She MUST regret taking that job.
- There are very few CHANCES that the meeting starts
- I tried to IMPRESS them that urgent action was
- We are ARGUING over politics for many years.
- The Minister's response took the interviewer ABACK.
- We must BE able to make up our minds soon, aren't
have completed each sentence with a suitable word or phrase:
- She can't be feeling very well to have left
the party so early.
- You really must introduce me to your wife.
- He really will have to work a lot harder if
he wants a promotion.
- Because of the heavy snowfalls we were able
to drive home in less than an hour.
- My grandfather always could think that
reading newspapers was a waste of time.
- They got here so fast; they must of run all the way.
- I still won't be able to get there in time even
if I catch an earlier train.
- The restaurant catered food for vegetarians.
- Since I didn't have to be at work until ten o'clock
this morning, I went to check up on my sister.
- We waited for an hour when Tom eventually
- As soon as / After she
saw him off the airport, she went back to work.
- She takes her misfortunes at heart too much.
- They are staying with us until they can find
a place of their own.
- That must be Wanda over there - hasn't she
gone away for the weekend?
- Ian's not the easiest person to get on with; that's
something you'll have to get used to.
- Elderly people can get cheated by con men
going from house to house.
- In my family a lot of furniture has been passed
down from generation to generation.
- The book is on the top shelf, out of the row.
- As she wanted to move away she sold the house for less
than it was worth.
- I've heard there's a possibility that the match got
- I'm not going to allow anyone to touch the
- His son is believed to have been kidnapped
by separatist guerillas.
- Let's stop talking and get down to business.
- One cannot refrain to admire her even if one
may not like her.
- Next month, I will celebrate living here for
- He wrote to the report he's not coming back.
- My watch has broken. I'll have to get it
- I was expecting the book to be a comic, but
in fact it was really sad.
- Our builder told me he would do his best to
get the materials as soon as he could.
- Not wanting to disturb her, I put the paper
on the desk and left.
- The weather was so fine last summer that we
went to the beach most weekends.
- Although the film was made in France, none
of the characters were French.
- I don't think it absolutely necessary
everybody should be there.
- His rebellious attitude dates since his
mother left home.
- To this day she has never understood why he left
her / the chicken came before the egg.
- I spent hours writing the history essay but it
turned out I have bothered, as the teacher didn't read it.
- I don't like this place. Isn't there another
place (where) we can have lunch?
- The Prime Minister was forced to resign; such was
the strength of public opinion against him.
- Don't wipe your hands on my nice clean
- He elbowed himself out through the queue.
- There's not much point talking to him if
he's still angry with us.
- The peace talks don't get anywhere at the
- My elder sister's tastes in music are much more
sophisticated as mine.
- Until payday we've hardly moved on.
- You look exhausted: what do you say to a